December 4, 2012

Hosting my 1st Thanksgiving

This year I got to host my first holiday!  We've had a few holidays alone as a couple or family, but I never have had the privilege of hosting guests on a holiday. If you know me very well you know I love to host so this was pretty exciting!  Tommy was so excited about "turkey day" & the entire month whenever we were in a store he'd shout "gobble gobble!" over & over.  We made lots of little turkey crafts leading up to it & had to have a countdown on his calendar as well.
Ben's family came for the weekend.  Here is Kiersten, Tommy, Kara, & Whitney making a fruit turkey for lunch.  Whitney mainly helped by eating & happily gibbering to herself :)
Our finished turkey.  I was worried about wasting fruit or cheese, but we all did a great job of eating him up.

We made an apple dip turkey too.  Kiersten & Kara liked the dip so well I kept catching them licking it straight from the bowl.  Luckily I had some saved to the side for the rest of us!  Funny story about this... afterward I stored the dips in two different small containers & it seemed like I kept finding them in the fridge & wondering why I had so many different apple dip containers.  A week later when I was at work Vic sent me a text that said "the gravy looks like apple dip... but I do not recommend confusing them while eating an apple." Haha! Leave it to Vic not to notice once he opened the container that it didn't look or smell quite right.  His first thought was that the cream cheese went bad. Yuck! :)
After lunch we went on a turkey hunt.  I had told the girls a bedtime story the night before about all the things we were going to do the next day & included going on a "turkey hunt". Kara (age 6) the next day asked me how I rounded up so many turkeys & was really excited to shoot one.  Guess I should have clarified that they were going to hunt for little goodie bags I had made up of a turkey craft & candies!  Here they are following the GPS to the open area to find the turkeys.
Tommy finding his baggy.
Poor Whitney slept through the excitement.  I think we'll do this every year as the kids really liked "hunting" & using the GPS.
Kids end of the table.
Whitney got to be by us.
I had Kara take this picture, but next year I'll have to get out the tripod!
I thought of this cute turkey/napkin ring all by myself.  I was pretty proud of myself for being so creative :)

5 comments:

Ben and Becky said...

Thanks so much for having us! all the decorations were so fun, and the food was all great! the girls are still talking about their pilgrim hat smores! That is horrible about the gravy!!!

Will and Heidi said...

I know from first-hand experience that you are a fabulous host! Looks like you did an awesome job. Cute stuff.

Unknown said...

The fruit and cheese Turkey is a cute idea! The turkey hunt looks like it was fun. And the table setting was very nice! I wish we could of all been together for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Unknown said...

Hi! I love the piano transformation you did in your old blog. It turned out so beautiful and I love the color stain you used. I came across this post while searching for ideas on how to re-stain an old piano. Would you mind telling me what products you used? What kind of spray paint / primer and stain? I am hoping to get the same dark wood effect that you created.

http://vicandnanc.blogspot.com/2012/09/piano-makeover.html

Thank you! :)

Ps- Sorry to write this on an unrelated post, but I wrote on the Piano one back in August and couldn't find a better way to contact you.

Nancy said...

Rosie, you never left a way to contact you so hopefully you read this old post to see my comment! I went to Wal-Mart for their paint & made sure I bought the brown primer as I read that on the "All Things Thrifty" blog... which is great. It covered amazingly well. Not sure what brand it was, whatever that blog recommended. Then just picked a brown spray paint of the same brand. I don't think that those ones matter as much as the stain does. I got it from Home Depot. It is MINWAX brand (yellow can) & it says "Wood Finish" w/ color "Dark Walnut 2716" Then the biggest thing is that you use a sponge to press your fingers against the wood to create the streak/ wood grain look. Good luck! I get lots of compliments on mine!!