February 3, 2016

Christmas Happenings

December was full of trying to squeeze in everything that should happen at Christmas time.  First thing in the month I battled our Christmas card again.  Every year I keep swearing I won't do it again, but I enjoy getting them so much that I keep doing one.
I also worked hard on making this giant countdown tree!  It was a lot of work, but I'm so glad I'll have it for future years and the kids loved having a bag to open each day.  In each bag I put a Christmas activity, a Christmas joke, and a treat or small toy. 
 One of their first days was to get a new tree for each of their rooms and they got little ornaments to decorate it.  They were all really proud of their trees, but I only ended up taking one of Whitney's.  The boys had green trees. Tucker's had car ornaments and Tommy's had blue and dinosaurs.
 Whitney had a cute Christmas program at her preschool.  She loves singing so I'd already heard all of her songs several times before the actual program.
 Tommy had a Christmas program as well.  I was really impressed with his music teacher. He was very creative with the kids and different instruments and I could tell they all loved him.
 Tommy's class party was riding the Polar Express (and watching the movie) so they all came in their pajamas and Vic punched their ticket before they got on the train.  The other moms told me the kids loved him.  I'm sure he hammed it up!
 The kids were very proud to be able to decorate this little tree by themselves.  Here they are ready to go to the Miller family Christmas party.  There wasn't very many little cousins that came this year, but my Aunts and Uncles are so welcoming that the kids still really loved it!
 This year I strayed from my usual red and gold tree so that we could have a "Frozen" tree.  I had a hard time loving it because it wasn't the traditional colors, but the kids were quite happy with it & Elsa came to visit us a lot more this month! 
 A close up so you can see some Elsa ornaments. 
 We love driving around to look at lights and we have a few favorite houses.  One where Santa comes out on Friday and Saturdays...
 ...and one that has a great light show.  The kids were very happy to see that the owners programmed in both Frozen songs and Minion songs.
 We went to our ward Christmas party as well and we were happy that Santa decided to surprise us with a visit!
 This year I had the kids write letters giving Santa a list of their top 3 things they like so they were a bit confused when he asked them what they wanted. They didn't know what to say so I helped them out a little.
 I really wanted to act out the nativity scene to highlight the reason for the season so we hosted an FHE at our house.  Here is the kids making cookies for it.

 I assigned everyone a part and a few speaking parts ahead of time. Below you can see King Caesar, the angel, shepherds, wisemen, and barn animals.  Tommy was Joseph, Whitney was a big, and Tucker was a donkey.  Whitney was supposed to be a shepherd, but when she saw what she had to wear, she quickly came up with her own outfit.  (a pink sparkly dress with a pink pig mask).
Afterwards we played a quiz game with Christmas trivia.  The Draper family killed it!  Then the kids got to decorate their own cookies.  My spray food coloring was the biggest hit for the decorations. 
 A few days before Christmas we drove down to Pocatello to visit my friend Heather.  The girls made this pink Hello Kitty gingerbread house I bought on clearance last year.  Even though the candy was a year old, they had eaten most of it within the hour!
 Here is the one the boys did.
 The kids also made lots of cute art during the month.





No comments: